Behavior at Demos

     Greetings to everyone at the Merry Rose from Lady Deoca of Elvegast,

     My, this is a touchy subject, isn't it? I didn't much like what I read
     from Master Thomas, I reacted pretty much the same way Melys did. That
     was Friday afternoon via email. My Acorn was waiting in my mailbox
     when I got home, so I sat down and read the entire article. Here are
     my impressions, after spending some time thinking about it.

     I don't think that Master Thomas considered/realized how sensitive his
     subject matter was. Else, I think he would have spent more time
     phrasing what he said somewhat differently. I hope so anyway. However,
     I have no way of knowing this, as I am not Master Thomas.

     There is a very real dilemma here, as I see it. Do we somewhat
     misrepresent ourselves to the public in order to educate and recruit?
     Or, do we behave exactly like we do when surrounded by ourselves, and
     face the repercussions from the general public? I think that we have
     to find a middle ground from which to do demos. I also think that this
     is an individual decision, but one that must be made with the good of
     the entire society in mind.

     I especially did not like Master Thomas's suggestion that we display
     *no* religious symbols at demos. I wear a religious symbol around my
     neck at all times, at work and at play. I most certainly am not going
     to take it off for a demo. If someone notices it at a demo, I will
     gladly explain both my personal beliefs and the history involved. I
     was most offended by the statement that I should claim this symbol was
     merely for recreational purposes and had nothing to do with my real
     life belief system. That would be lying and would go directly against
     my real life belief system! My symbol is small and discreet so it is
     generally only recognized by people who know what it is. However, I do
     not like being asked to not wear it or to lie about it.

     In closing, I think that Master Thomas was stating guidelines, not
     "rules". I certainly hope so, anyway. I think he definitely could have
     phrased them better. As I said earlier, the decisions about what to do
     at a demo has to be a personal decision with the audience being
     considered. I hope that we are all responsible and intelligent enough
     to handle these things diplomatically.

     In service to the Dream,
     Deoca of Elvegast
     jennyg@env.duke.edu

     ps: Lady Ayo, thank you for defending my intelligence. Hope you still
     feel the same way after reading this! Rhiannon, thank you for the
     apology. I did not take offense at your post, though it also could
     have been worded better :-) I assumed that the nature of the subject
     matter had caused an emotional response. Peace to all!