Re: personal rights vs. group needs

Uther, questioning everything and being unusually philisophical.  Take it
however you will...

On Fri, 28 Apr 1995, Kate Spears wrote:

> You are correct, Lady melys, that it is unfortunate that there are those who
> are unable to look at different lifestyles/belief systems with acceptance and
> an open mind.  But that is the reality of the world in which we live.

Is it?  Do we really live in a world with that many people who are
closedminded?  I don't think it's necessary to reach everyone, or even
to try.  In fact, I don't think it's possible.  The very nature of the
diversity statement dictates that there will always be people who don't
agree.  As a further question, why should we conform to them - why not
them to us?  Does it really help out the Society if we do not show our
true face?

> And you are correct that you have a right to behave/dress however you like.
> That right exists, however, until your exercising that right begins to impact
> negatively on those with whom you associate.
>
> (I'm not sure who said it, but I think the operative phrase here is: Your
> right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins.)

This statement does not however address the cases where your nose is in
the way of my fist.. :) <HUMOR!>  But with a serious point - once again,
who is in the wrong?  Am I wrong for dressing and behaving differently,
or are you wrong for not accepting what I am?  As an illustration,
consider this -

You are walking down a street and encounter a man, dressed up as a
woman.  It is obvious, not by the makeup, the dress, or size 15 high heels,
but by the 5 o'clock shadow.  Later when describing the person to a friend,
how likely is it that the word "strange" would be used?  Who would be
wrong - the person for dressing differently, or you for not accepting them?

> When we agree to participate in a society we inherently agree to give up, in
> differing quantities, our rights as individuals,  in return for the benefits
> that the society brings such as fellowship, companionship, and
> interdependence.
>
> IMHO, agreeing to curb some behaviors that "may" reflect negatively on the
> SCA and to do my best to put the Society in the best possible light while
> people are first getting to know us is a small price to pay for the richness
> and depth that members of the SCA have given to my life.

For you, yes.  But I value my independence over my interdependence.  I
will not blindly conform to what others want me to be.  Is it more/less
evil for me to compromise my integrity than for them to compromise theirs?

> Lady Aislynn

Lest ye flame, one last point.  What better way to show that everyone has
different values than the fact that we disagree?

Uther
For those might be wondering, no, I am not a transvestite :)