Vlad Tepes (was: Re: Religion and society)

During a discussion of which I am rudely butting into the middle of Istvan
says:

>The Order of the Dragon was an Eastern European Order, more likely than
>not an offshoot of the Teutonic Knights (it was bestowed by the Holy Roman
>Emperor).  Vlad Tepes of Walachia's father was a member of this Order,
>hence he was called Drakul.

??? I was under the impression that the proper translation of Drakul was
'devil' rather than 'dragon' and that he was called that because he was, um,
not very nice. His son learned the tricks of the trade and added a few of his
own thus becoming Drakula or 'son of the devil'. Or perhaps I've misinterpreted
your meaning. Of course, if I'm wrong, I'm sure that somebody will let me know.

Richard du Guesclin
Elvegast, Windmaster's Hill, Atlantia
davis.jim@epamail.epa.gov