Re: Braveheart

On Thu, 1 Jun 1995 EoganmacL@aol.com wrote:

> #1 That I know of, Sir William never had a fling for the Princess.  That was
> probably just thrown in as a romantic interest to make the movie more
> user-friendly (after all, Murren didn't last but 10 minutes).  And as for
> William fathering Edward III, I really don't think so.

As far as I know, I think you're right on this.  I haven't seen the movie,
although I plan to.

> Bannockburn in the film was fought on the spur of the moment when Robert was
> supposed to ride out and pay homage to the the English King (by this time Ed
> II).  In real life it was planned for a year and was fought over Castle
> Stirling.  It was a wonderful battle, one of the best in history, and if
> anyone wants the full details of it, email me, and I'll tell you all about
> it.

I've been studying this particular battle for the past several months, and
I was quite excited when I started seeing ads for "Braveheart".  Send me
e-mail on this.  I'd like to discuss this further.  I have a book on my
family's clan (Clan MacKay), and was delighted to see that they were
supporting Robert in this battle.

I also read somewhere that Led Zeppelin's "Battle of Evermore" was
inspired by this battle (or was that Killikrankie?)

> Those are the major things that I noticed.  Any other innacuracies that
> anyone noticed?  Was Ed II really gay?  What about the Irish forces at
> Falkirk?  I doubt they really switched sides, although I wouldn't put it past
> them.  Any info?

I've never read that about the Irish.  I thought they were supporting
Robert.  What do you think of Baigent & Leigh's idea that the troops that
showed up near the end were renegade Templars, fleeing from their
dissolution of 1307 in France?

Istvan Dragosani                     | "Go not to the Elves for counsel,
bmccoy@capaccess.org                 |  for they will say both yes and no"
Minstrel, Mage, Sage, Wooer of Women |      -- JRR Tolkien
and General Friend of all Nature...  |