Re: Braveheart

On Thu, 1 Jun 1995, Corun MacAnndra wrote:

> Don't you mean Robert Bruce, the great (or is it great great) granfather
> of Robert "the" Bruce, aka Robert I of Scotland? Or is there another
> William Wallace I don't know about? Heck, the Bruce family had Roberts
> at least as far back as before 1141, the year Robert Bruce, First Lord of
> Annandale died. I think it was this Bruce who fought with the Wallace
> of Braveheart. Wasn't it???

I haven't seen the film yet, but looking this up last night in one of my
books, William Wallace, after being knighted (perhaps even by Robert The
Bruce), was made Guardian of Scotland.  He did later resign his
Guardianship, which was then taken over by Robert and another guy.
Wallace was captured in 1305 by Edward, and later given a rather grisly
execution.  It was in 1307 that Robert slew one his rivals, two years
after Wallaces' death.  In fact, what Robert did was stab this guy in the
church, but the rival was rescued by a bishop, so Robert actually dragged
him back into the church and there finished him off.

Istvan Dragosani                     | "Go not to the Elves for counsel,
bmccoy@capaccess.org                 |  for they will say both yes and no"
Minstrel, Mage, Sage, Wooer of Women |      -- JRR Tolkien
and General Friend of all Nature...  |