Re: trimounts

WARNING! HERALDIC TECHNICAL JARGON.

PEDANTIC DISCUSSION OF RULES THAT ARE MORE
ARBITRARY THAN UNIX AND LESS FUNCTIONAL TOO.

HIT DELETE IMMEDIATELY,
LEST YOUR SOUL SHRIVEL AND DRY OUT.

Evan da Collaureo, Kraken sez:

>Laurel registered something like the following about a year and
>a half back: "Azure, <some sort of animal> argent atop a trimount
>vert." The submitter included copious documentation for this exact
>motif.

>That precedent is still in effect, which states: 1) The
>submitter *MUST* provide examples, preferably a dozen or more,
>of the motif which would otherwise violate The Rules; 2) these
>examples should be from across Europe; 3) the examples should
>be of similar balance and complexity to the submission; 4) the
>examples supplied by the submitter apply *ONLY* to that
>particular submission -- so each submitter who wishes to use
>the precedent has to supply examples.

Evan, thank you for your quick and courteous reply. Of course,
I have questions.

Please doublecheck the policy for me and get the One True
Wording. It makes no logical sense to me to require each and
every submitter to send a dozen examples of research which
is already done and submitted. That would be ridiculously
bureaucratic and obstructive, even for SCA heralds. Once we
have researched and learned a thing, we must surely retain it.
Otherwise, the College of Heralds is no longer researching
and educating but merely impeding. Oh......

Possibly you misremember. I suggest that the following makes
more sense and might be what was said by Laurel.

	Precedent: Armory of azure, a metal figure atop
	a trimount vert in the style of medieval Hungary,
	will now be accepted.

	Policy: Further precedents can be established
	according to a set of research and submission
	guidelines.

If it turns out I am wrong, it would mean that _each_
person desiring to take advantage of that research would
have to xerox it and mail the whole packet to Laurel, so he
could file them with the original documentation. Over the
years, as people xeroxed and rexeroxed the documentation,
it will become less readable. If this was done gradually,
our kids could make the submission by sending a stylized
entry that has the same basic geometric shapes as the
xeroxed unreadable blotches, saving them the bother of
actually having a 35th generation copy.

In either case, I would like to see the documentation.
Can this be arranged? I will be attending Collegium
Boring Alice. (Ill leave Alice at home, tho. She is such a
stick-in-the-mud.)

-Henry Best