Re[2]: Air at Pennsic - some ideas

     Suggestions for period looking cooling devices at Pennsic:

     Long before I wandered into the Laurel Kingdoms, I had occassion to
     make travels in the Holy Land.  There, at the edge of a water hole in
     the Judean Hills and in a hostel outsice of Acre, I saw two renditions
     of a device that might be useful for Pennsic.

     At the edge of an oasis in the desert, one good innkeeper had
     established a large overhead arbor.  It was overgrown with massive
     grape vines that blocked the direct rays of the sun.  We sat at tables
     underneath.  On the side of the square arbor from which a (negligible)
     breeze was blowing, the host had tied a very large muslin sheet of
     loose weave, and stretched it like a sail between the posts holding up
     the arbor.  At intervals, a small child threw buckets of water at the
     sheet to dampen it.  The combination of the overhead shade and the
     water-soaked sheet lowered the temperature under the arbor quite
     noticeably.  Even the melon slices we were eating seemed cooler under
     the arbor than outside.

     The hostel keeper in Acre employed a second device was similar in
     principle, but more complex in construction.  The hut we stayed in had
     windows that were not covered with glass.  Instead, they had two
     layers of cloth screening in between which was packed about an eighth
     of an inch of something vegetative and absorbent.  I think it was
     dried moss or shredded leaves.  Water trickled through a hose that ran
     along the top of the screens and dripped into the stuffing below.
     There was not enough water flowing to drain away or trickle out - just
     enough to keep the screens permanently damp.  The huts were at least
     20 degrees cooler inside than out.

     While we won't have time to plant and nurture a grape arbor to the
     spendor of the one I remember, the combination of overhead shade and
     the soaked sheet is certainly attainable (and I wouldn't be surprised
     to find out - period as well).  The second construction might be a bit
     ambitious for temporary tenting at the War, but the ingenious might be
     able to adapt its design into something more suitable.

     -Ianthe d'Averoigne                        kim.salazar@em.doe.gov

<Zero length text item>