Date: Wed, 1 Nov 1995 13:06:42 -0500 (EST)
From: ALEX L MARTIN <amartin3@osf1.gmu.edu>
To: solist@gmu.edu
Subject: Hunger & Homelessness Awareness "Can Competition"

Dear Student Leaders,

Hopefully, you and the members of your group are aware that Hunger &
Homelessness Awareness Week will be observed at GMU on Nov. 11-17. We
members of the "Religious Umbrella" hope that you will contribute to the
success of the week by sponsoring any activities that you feel are
appropriate. However, just in case you haven't figured out how you'd like
to be involved (and even if you have) we would like to issue you the
following opportunity or challenge:

The GMU Religious Umbrella challenges the University's other student
groups to a "Hunger & Homelessness Awareness" Food Drive.

Here's the way the "Campus Can Competition" will work:

First, your group should determine how you want to participate in this
project. You have 3 options: a) participate as an individual group; b)
form an "alliance" with other, related student groups, or c) participate
as one of GMU's student organization umbrellas. The student activities
office can give you a list of the umbrellas.

During the week of Nov. 11-17, encourage your group members to collect
non-perishable food items or cash donations. You will have to find a
place to keep these contributions until the "great presentation" on
Friday, Nov. 17. However, if you are having trouble finding storage
space, room will be made available at the Baptist Student Center on
Roberts Road. Please note: it is not necessary to coordinate your
collection efforts with other groups, although you may do so if you wish.

On Friday, Nov. 17, between the hours of 10am and 2pm, a collection site
will be set up on the Quad. You can bring what you've collected to the
site anytime during this time frame. If you are unable to work this into
your schedule, please contact the Baptist campus minister at the Campus
Ministry Association (x33323) and an alternative will be arranged.

When you arrive at the collection site, someone will be on hand to record
what student group you represent, the umbrella or "alliance" with which
you are participating (if any), and how many points you are to receive
for your donation. 1 point is awarded for each food item, and 1 point is
awarded for each dollar received.

All food items and money will be given to Fairfax Fish (For Immediate
Sympathetic Help). The winner of the competition will be announced at the
"Step for Hunger" show that evening. In addition, the top student group
and student umbrella (or alliance) will be honored with a Broadside ad to
appear in the edition following Thanksgiving Break.

The "Campus Can Competition" is open to all University student groups. If
you have any questions, please contact Alex Martin, Baptist Campus
Minister, at 993-3323 or 941-69822. Or e-mail me at amartin3@gmu.edu.