FAQ: Monthly Posting

This is an automatic monthly posting (or at least it will be in
the future) to the Merry Rose.  This is the frequently asked
questions (with answers) that occur on the list.  The most up
to date version of this file can be found at ftp.netcom.com
in the directory /pub/lo/lovelace/atlantia and is called
atlantia.faq.

1.5     How do I add my SCA name to the listing along with my e-mail address?
1.6     Why isn't there a digest for the Merry Rose?
1.7     Where can I get back posts from the Merry Rose?
1.8     Am I allowed to publish Merry Rose postings in our newsletter?
1.9     Is there a badge for the Merry Rose people?
1.10    Why do I keep hearing about a northern principality?

Section 2: Other SCA electronic sources.

2.1     Are there other SCA mailing lists?
2.1.1   What other mailing lists of interest are there?
2.2     What's the Rialto, why do I keep hearing about it?
2.3     Are there other archives of SCA information?
2.3.1   Archives via FTP?
2.3.2   Archives via Gopher?
2.3.3   Archives via WWW?
2.4     Does anyone have a contact in...?
2.5     What are the Rolls Ethereal?
2.6     Where can I get songs and lyrics?

Section 3: Miscellaneous questions.

3.1     What does AS stand for?
3.2     Other abbreviations you may run across:
3.3     What is Period?
3.4     What is the Grand Council?

Section 4: Recurring events.

4.1     What is Pennsic?  When is Pennsic?
4.2     What is Estrella? When is Estrella?
4.3     What is Lilies?  When is Lilies?

Section 5: How do you join the SCA?

exploder.  People send messages to one central address, when then
turns around and resends that message out to a list of people that
has subscribed to the list.  The Merry Rose exists to discuss topics
of interest to the Kingdom of Atlantia in the Society for Creative
Anachronism.  The SCA is a non-profit, educational organization of
people that study the Middle Ages and Renaissance, and recreate those
parts we find interesting.

1.2     Why is it called the Merry Rose?  Why is it sometimes called Cheapside?

People in the SCA use a medieval name instead of their real name in
order to get more into the mindset of the past. This also extends to
other things that have to do with the SCA.  The Merry Rose is
supposedly a tavern where people gather to gossip and exchange ideas.
It is sometimes called Cheapside because when we were deciding on a
name, everyone had a suggestion and they sort of all got combined
together.  Cheapside is a section of London and the Merry Rose Tavern
is located there.

1.3     How do I post to the Merry Rose? Why don't some of my posts make it to the list?

To post messages to the Merry Rose they must be sent to
atlantia-l@netcom.com.  This will resend them to everyone on the
list, including yourself, if you are on the list..  You don't have
to be on the list to send to it, but if you aren't then you won't
know whether your post made it or not.  When you receive a post
from the list and you try to reply to it, you must make sure that
the address  it is going to is atlantia-l@netcom.com.  Some mailers
try to send it back to owner-atlantia-l@netcom.com.  This address
doesn't go to the list, it only goes to Lord Kendrick Wayfarer.

1.4     How do I subscribe to the Merry Rose?  How do I unsubscribe?

All subscription and unsubscription requests must go to
listserv@netcom.com.  Sending an request to the list, will not
subscribe or unsubscribe you.  The best way to subscribe is to
send the following message to listserv@netcom.com:

subscribe atlantia-l
end

This tells the listserv software, which may process many mailing
lists, that you want to subscribe to the list named atlantia-l.
The software will then automatically pick up your address and
subscribe you to the list.  If you need to subscribe to another
address than where you are sending from you must structure the
message the following way:

subscribe atlantia-l <e-mail address@whereever>
end

Note that you  must use angle brackets around the address.  Other
types of brackets, or parentheses, will confuse the mailer.  To
unsubscribe to the list you just substitute the word "unsubscribe."
When you originally subscribe to the list, you will be sent a
message telling you exactly how to unsubscribe.  It is your
responsibility to keep this message and refer to it if you ever
want to unsubscribe.

1.5     How do I add my SCA name to the listing along with my e-mail address?

Some people have come up with a way to add your Society name to
the master list of people at the Merry Rose.  It comes from the
fact that the mailer takes whatever is in angle brackets to be
your e-mail address, and lets you do whatever you want outside
the brackets.  It is therefore possible for you to specify your
SCA name as such:

subscribe atlantia-l Lord So and So <e-mail address@whereever>
end

Unfortunately, this is more than likely bound to fail in that our
version of the list manager software is not smart enough to realize
the address you're sending from is valid.  This is supposed to be
fixed in later releases of the software, but Netcom has shown no
inclination to upgrade any time soon.

1.6     Why isn't there a digest for the Merry Rose?

As I just said, this is not the latest version of the list manager
software.  Later versions do support a digest function, where the
mail will be collected for a certain period of time, say a day, and
then sent all at once in one big message to people subscribed to
the digest.  When and if Netcom ever upgrades the list software, a
digest may become available.

1.7     Where can I get back posts from the Merry Rose?

All post from the Merry Rose are archived and can be found by anonymous
ftp at ftp.netcom.com in the directory /pub/lo/lovelace/atlantia.
If you don't know how to access anonymous ftp, contact your system
administrator.  Posts are archived by month and are compressed using
the Gnu zip format. I keep a copy of gunzip.exe for MS-DOS computers
in my ftp directory under /pub/lo/lovelace/utils, but if you use
another type of computer, you're on your own.  Most all gnu software,
however, can be found at the main gnu ftp site: prep.ai.mit.edu.

1.8     Am I allowed to publish Merry Rose postings in our newsletter?

The legalities of copyright ownership in an electronic medium are
currently murky.  In countries that are signatories to the Berne
Convention (which includes the USA and Canada), text is copyrighted
from the moment of creation.  However, text submitted tonewsgroups
and digests _may_ be different, as it is intended for a wide
distribution.  There is no clear answer in the USA at the present
time.  The polite thing to do, regardless of whether a lawyer
would tell you it is necessary, is contact the author(s) of the
article(s) in question, and ask for permission to publish.  Abide
by their wishes.  Assuming permission is given, you (or your
chronicler) probably want to save a hardcopy of the message giving
you permission.

[Note:  As some of you may note, the above paragraph and others are
taken directly from the Rialto FAQ.  I attempted to contact Robyann,
the author of the FAQ who is in fact on our list, but received no
response.  If you do read this, Robyann, and decide you do not want
me to use parts of your FAQ, please contact  me immediately and I
will rewrite them. -- Kendrick]

1.9     Is there a badge for the Merry Rose people?

There is an unofficial badge that was presented to Lord Kendrick
Wayfarer at the Storvik Baronial Investiture in March of 1995.
The blazon is ***insert blazon here***, which is heraldese for a
rose with a smiley on it. :-)  There have been rumors of badges
to be made, but as of yet none have surfaced.

1.10    Why do I keep hearing about a northern principality?

The topic of a principality in the northern reaches of Atlantia
is one that seems to crop up every now and then.  This list was
created in the midst of some of these talks and therefore received
a lion's share of posts on it near the beginning.  That has since
tapered off, but you may still hear people talk about it now and
then.  Apparently this issue is able to galvanize people on both
sides into almost despising the people on the other, while those
who don't feel strongly either way get caught in the middle.

Section 2: Other SCA electronic sources.

2.1     Are there other SCA mailing lists?

		SUBSCRIBE ansteorra

		OR for a periodic (daily) digest of messages,

		SUBSCRIBE ansteorra-digest
Post to:        ansteorra@eden.com
Maintainer:     owner-ansteorra@eden.com
		(SCA Phelim Uhtred Gervase/Pug)

		SUBSCRIBE antir Your Name <email@address>
Post to:        antir@mail.orst.edu
Maintainer:     antir-request@mail.orst.edu
		(SCA: Ivarr Ulfvarinson)

		SUB CALONTIR Firstname Lastname

		substituting your name for First and Last name.
		   directory /jaymin/sca
		via email - send mail containing the single line
		   HELP to info-server@lanczos.maths.tcd.ie

		subscribe scagc-l <Your Name Here>

		replacing <Your Name Here> with your first and last names.
Posting:        only members of the Grand Council may post, although
		anyone may read.  Send postings to the editor.
Editor:         Justin du Coeur <justin@inmet.com>
Maintainer:     Kwellend Njall <vnend@princeton.edu>
Archives:       via FTP at ftp.gc.sca.org:/pub/sca_gc
		via gopher at lists.princeton.edu
		via WWW at http://www.inmet.com/~justin/gc/

		information cns-outlands
Posting:        cns-outlands@cscns.com
Maintainer:     Knut of Dragonsspine <norseman@cscns.com>

		subscribe sca-reform
Posting:        sca-reform@world.std.com
Maintainer:     Gareth of Stonemarch <sca-reform-approval@world.std.com>
		message body having only the line:

		subscribe sca-caid Firstname Lastname

		and substituting your name for First and Last name.
Maintainer:     Wolfgang Rotkopf <rodmur@ecst.scuchico.edu>
		having only the line:

		subscribe sca-east
Posting:        sca-east@world.std.com
Maintainer:     Boyarina Yelizaveta Medvedeva <eliz@world.std.com>
		line and body of:

		SUB SCAHRLDS Firstname Lastname

		substituting your name for First and Last name.
Maintainer:     Kwellend-Njal Kolskeggsson (vnend@princeton.edu)
Digest:         sent twice weekly by Alan Fairfax
		(atterlep@vela.acs.oakland.edu) Contact him for details.
		following message body:

		subscribe sca-lochac <<your email address>>
Posting:        email to sca-lochac@yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au
Maintainer:     Thomas Flamanc of Kelsale <sawyer@ccds.cc.monash.edu.au>
		message body having only the line

		subscribe sca-west Firstname Lastname

		and substituting your name for First and Last name.
Maintainer:     Wolfgang Rotkopf <rodmur@ecst.scuchico.edu>
		line and body of:

		SUB SIEGE Firstname Lastname

		substituting your name for First and Last name.
Maintainer:     Sebastian Goral (amlsmith@plato.ucs.mun.ca)
Archives:               via anonymous FTP at bransle.ucs.mun.ca directory /pub/sca/
Note:           postings tend to come in fits and spurts.
part of the address for the list you're interested in that comes
after the @ sign.  The mail should have nothing in the subject line,
and the body of the message should consist of nothing more than:

SUB <listname> <yourname>

where <listname> is the name of the mailing list you are subscribing
to (the part *before* the @ sign) and <yourname> is your name.

If this is unsuccessful, try appending -Request to the name of the
list, and sending mail to that address.  E.g., subscribe to
h-costume@andrew.cmu.edu by sending mail to
h-costume-Request@andrew.cmu.edu.

Many of these lists are places where modern-world scholars communicate,
and therefore are not places where persona is appropriate -- use
your modern name.

ALBION-L@UCSBM.BITNET           British and Irish history
ANSAX-L@WVNVM.BITNET            Anglo-Saxon and related subjects
ARTHURNET@MORGAN.UCS.MUN.CA     Arthurian discussion
BYZANS-L@MIZZOU1.MISSOURI.EDU   Byzantine studies
CELTIC-L@IRLEARN.BITNET         Celtic culture
CHAUCER@UNLINFO.UNL.EDU         Chaucer and Middle English
EARLYM-L@AEARN.BITNET           Early Music
EMHIST-L@RUTVM1.BITNET          Early modern history
FICINO@UTORONTO.BITNET          Renaissance-Reformation studies
FOLKLORE@TAMVM1.BITNET          folklore
FRANCEHS@UWAVM.BITNET           French historical studies
GAELIC-L@IRLEARN.BITNET         Gaelic language group
GRMNHIST@USCVM.BITNET           German history from 800 AD
H-COSTUME@ANDREW.CMU.EDU        Historic Costume
IRTRAD-L@IRLEARN.BITNET         Irish traditional music
ISLAM-L@ULKYVM.BITNET           Islamic studies
MEDEVLIT@SIUCVMB.BITNET         Mediaeval literature
MEDFEM-L@INDYCMS.BITNET         Medieval feminist studies
MEDIEV-L@UKANVM.BITNET          Medieval history
MEDTEXTL@VMD.CSO.UIUC.EDU       Medieval texts
NUMISM-L@UNIVSCVM.CSD.SCAROLINA.EDU  Coinage up to c.1454
PERFORM@IUBVM.BITNET            Performance theory and medieval drama
REED-L@UTORONTO.BITNET          medieval drama
RENAIS-L@ULKYVM.louisville.edu  early modern history
RENDANCE@MORGAN.UCS.MUN.CA      RENAISSANCE & BAROQUE DANCE
TML-L@IUBVM.UCS.INDIANA.EDU     Online medieval Latin music theory texts
TOLKEIN@JHUVM.BITNET            Tolkein discussion list
TORAH@MITVMA.BITNET             discussion of the Torah

2.2     What's the Rialto, why do I keep hearing about it?

The Rialto is the "in personna" name for the Usenet news group
rec.org.sca.  It serves basically the same function as the Merry
Rose does, but for the entire Known World instead of just the
Kingdom of Atlantia.

2.3     Are there other archives of SCA information?

Yes.  There are several sites that contain various files of SCA
information, including this file, Corpora, the Heraldic Rules for
Submission, the Online Armorial, several kingdom's laws, rules for
combat, and so on.  Each site has a different collection of material,
so you may need to investigate more than one to find what you need.

2.3.1   Archives via FTP?

Contact your local system administrator to learn how to use anonymous
FTP to retrieve these files.  Those without FTP access should send e-mail
to mail-server@rtfm.mit.edu with "send usenet/news.answers/finding-sources"
in the body to find out how to do FTP by e-mail.

ftp.nau.edu [134.114.64.24] directory /sca
	maintained by wew@naucse.cse.nau.edu (Bill Wilson)
bransle.ucs.mun.ca [134.153.2.24] directory /pub/sca
	maintained by andrew@bransle.ucs.mun.ca (Miklos Sandorfia)
vela.acs.oakland.edu [141.210.10.2] directory /pub/heralds
	maintained by atterlep@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Alan Fairfax Aluricson)

2.3.2   Archives via Gopher?

Contact your local system administrator for a gopher client.

heort.bsuvc.bsu.edu
	administered by Gwydion ap Myrddin <00mjstum@bsuvc.bsu.edu>

2.3.3   Archives via WWW?

Contact your local system administrator for a WWW browser.

http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~rodmur/sca/
	Information about the entire SCA
http://fermi.clas.virginia.edu/~gl8f/atlantia.html
	Information about the Kingdom of Atlantia

2.4     Does anyone have a contact in...?

The best way to find a contact in a particular area or group is to
look in the Rolls Ethereal.

2.5     What are the Rolls Ethereal?

The Rolls Ethereal list people on the Rialto, at least name and
electronic address, and often interests, location, and awards.
The Rolls are maintained by Justin du Coeur (justin@inmet.camb.inmet.com)
They are available via World Wide Web at
http://www.inmet.com/~justin/rolls-intro.html

For those without World Wide Web access, send email to
rolls@www.inmet.com with only the word "send" (no quotes) in
the Subject: line.

2.6     Where can I get songs and lyrics?

There are a number of sites that archive song sources.  Many of
these are dial-up sites, requiring the use of a modem.  Please do
not ask for technical help with this on the Merry Rose -- there are
sure to be better sources of this information close to you.

Herald's Point, Ansteorra   (214) 699-0057
TIDMADT, Atlantia           (703) 370-7054
SCRIBE, Ansteorra           (214) 826-8141
City of London, Trimaris    (407) 895-1335
Deus Ex Machina, Atenveldt  (602) 439-8070
Digital Tradition           FTP to FTP.UWP.EDU, /pub/songs/folk
bransle.ucs.mun.ca          FTP, /pub/lyrics

Section 3: Miscellaneous questions.

3.1     What does AS stand for?

Anno Societatis, or Year of the Society, counted from May 1, 1966 CE.
(CE = Common Era, used to avoid the religious connotations of AD, or
Anno Domini)

3.2     Other abbreviations you may run across:

A&S  -  Arts and Sciences (not to be confused with AS, above)
BTW  -  By The Way
CMA  -  Current Middle Ages
FAQ  -  Frequently Asked Question(s)
FYI  -  For Your Information
IMHO -  In My Honest/Humble Opinion
MKA  -  Modernly (or Mundanely) Known As
OOP  -  Out Of Period
:-)  -  not really an abbreviation, the "smiley" informally
	indicates humor.  Turn your head sideways to the left to
	understand it.

3.3     What is Period?

The period (and place) of interest to the SCA, as defined in Corpora
and the By-Laws, is Western Europe and cultures that had contact with
Western Europe before the 17th Century.

3.4     What is the Grand Council?

The Grand Council is a body of 20-40 people, chartered by the Board
of Directors to develop recommendations on improving the structures
of the SCA, Inc.  It is not a strictly representative body and has no
power to legislate.  Its membership has been chosen to represent as
many different viewpoints on the SCA as possible.  Major discussions
are open for the public to read, see the listing for the Grand Council
mailing list for details.

Section 4: Recurring events.

4.1     What is Pennsic?  When is Pennsic?

Pennsic is an annual war, with the main contenders being the East and
Middle Kingdoms.  It is the largest recurring event in the Laurel
Kingdoms, with attendance in 1994 of about 9200.  It has taken place
since 1972, and has been held at Coopers Lake Campground near Slippery
Rock, PA since 1977.  The main battles of the war are held the third
weekend in August, with other activities taking place the week and
weekend preceding that. Pennsic was so named from "Pennsylvania" on
the model of "Punic."

4.2     What is Estrella? When is Estrella?

Estrella is an annual war, with the main contenders being Atenveldt
and Caid.  The West and Outlands often contribute to the mayhem :-)
It has taken place since 1985, and is held at Estrella Mountain Park
near Goodyear, AZ, west of Phoenix.  It is held on President's Day
weekend (February).

4.3     What is Lilies?  When is Lilies?

Lilies is an annual war that takes place in Calontir.  Each year a
new scenario is developed to vary the sides.  Past scenarios have
included Winter Queens vs. Summer Queens, Laurels vs. Pelicans,
Baronies vs. Shires, and so on.  It takes place at Smithville Lake,
near Kansas City, MO.  Attendance in 1993 was 1200+.

Section 5: How do you join the SCA?

Find your local group and show up.  To attend an event, you must
wear some  attempt at pre-17th century clothing.  If you like it,
you may want to become a registered member, which among other things
gets you newsletters.  The Office of the Registry will provide basic
introductory material, including a copy of your kingdom newsletter,
on request.  They also have packets of material available for teachers.

The Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc.
Office of the Registry
P.O. Box 360743
Milpitas, CA   95036-0743
USA
408-263-9305
408-263-0641 fax

In Australia (The Principality of Lochac), contact:

Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc.
PO Box 607
UNLEY  SA  5061
AUSTRALIA