Re: Re[2]: Communications Decency Act (CDA) and the SCA

On Mon, 12 Feb 1996, Chuck Graves wrote:

>      Am I missing something about the CDA? I thought said Act had to do
>      with: 1) sexually explicit materials and 2) public availability to
>      minors.

Almost - the major sections of Title V (OBSCENITY AND VIOLENCE) which
cover computers deal with willful distribution to a minor, or with the
intent to harrass someone.  There's something in there about the
community standards, but nothing that bans sexually explicit
materials totally.  Most of the rest of the bill deals with
deregulation or reregulation of cable and telephone companies.

To get the full text of the bill, check out http://thomas.loc.gov/ and
look for bill S.562.

Uther