Medieval Instrument Cases

Greetings all and sundry (yes, Sundry!  I see you lurking over there in
the corner!).  I come to you this day with an inquery.
Now, I know of several excellent sources for medieval instruments, but
what is out there telling us what medieval people carried their
instruments in?  Surely they had some specialized cases to keep their
instruments out of the elements and safe from jostling about while on the
road.  Are their any good sources I could look for?  Does anyone know
themselves?  I am a cordwainer, so leather cases would be convieneint for
me to try and make, although my lady is handy with wooden constructions.
Any help would be appreciated.
Aye,
Eogan