Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 21:13:46 CST
From: Jim Marchand <marchand@UX1.CSO.UIUC.EDU>
To: Multiple recipients of list MEDTEXTL <MEDTEXTL@POSTOFFICE.CSO.UIUC.EDU>
Subject: Pangur Ban, transl.

I promised a translation of Pangur Ban, and here it is, kind of word for word
and following the order of the original.  I have a philological explanation
of each word, but I hesitate to burden you with it.  I am tired of
apologizing for these translations, but this one deserves a special apology;
it is really a beautiful poem and a beautiful conceit.

                           The Scholar and his Cat

1. I and White Pangur, each of us in his special craft.  His mind is set on
hunting; my mind is on my special subject.

2. I love resting (better than any fame) at my book, with diligent
understanding; White Pangur is not envious of me; he loves his childish
craft.

3. When we are (tale without tiredness), in our house, being alone, we have
an endless sport, a thing to which we may apply our skill.

4. It is usual, at times, by feats of valor, that a mouse sticks in his net.
As for me, there falls into my net, a difficult rule with hard meaning.

5. He points fiercely against an enclosing wall his eye, bright, perfect.  I
myself direct against the keenness of knowledge my sharp eye, though it be
quite weak.

6. He is happy with swiftness of movement upon a mouse sticking in his sharp
paws.  Which I understand a difficult pleasant problem, as for me, I am
happy, too.

7. Though we may be indeed (like this) at any time, neither disturbs his
partner; good to each of us is his art, each rejoices in them.

8. He himself is master of it, the work which he does every day.  To bring
clarity to difficulty, I am at my own work.

!
Jim Marchand.