No Subject

Table of Contents

Section 1: The Merry Rose Tavern at Cheapside.

1.1     What is the Merry Rose?  What's it for?
1.2     Why is it called the Merry Rose?  Why is it sometimes called Cheapside?
1.3     How do I post to the Merry Rose? Why don't some of my posts make it to the list?
1.4     How do I subscribe to the Merry Rose?  How do I unsubscribe?
1.5     How do I add my SCA name to the listing along with my e-mail address?
1.6     What are these four lines at the end of every message?
1.7     Why isn't there a digest for the Merry Rose?
1.8     Where can I get back posts from the Merry Rose?
1.9     Am I allowed to publish Merry Rose postings in our newsletter?
1.10    Is there a badge for the Merry Rose people?
1.11    Why do I keep hearing about a northern principality?

For more information the reader is referred to the Frequently
Asked Questions from the Rialto (rec.org.sca).
exploder.  People send messages to one central address, when then
turns around and resends that message out to a list of people that
has subscribed to the list.  The Merry Rose exists to discuss topics
of interest to the Kingdom of Atlantia in the Society for Creative
Anachronism.  The SCA is a non-profit, educational organization of
people that study the Middle Ages and Renaissance, and recreate those
parts we find interesting.

1.2     Why is it called the Merry Rose?  Why is it sometimes called Cheapside?

People in the SCA use a medieval name instead of their real name in
order to get more into the mindset of the past. This also extends to
other things that have to do with the SCA.  The Merry Rose is
supposedly a tavern where people gather to gossip and exchange ideas.
It is sometimes called Cheapside because when we were deciding on a
name, everyone had a suggestion and they sort of all got combined
together.  Cheapside is a section of London and the Merry Rose Tavern
is located there.

1.3     How do I post to the Merry Rose? Why don't some of my posts make it to the list?

To post messages to the Merry Rose they must be sent to
atlantia@csc.ncsu.edu.  This will resend them to everyone on the
list, including yourself, if you are on the list..  You don't have
to be on the list to send to it, but if you aren't then you won't
know whether your post made it or not.  When you receive a post
from the list and you try to reply to it, you must make sure that
the address  it is going to is atlantia@csc.ncsu.edu.  Some mailers
try to send it back to owner-atlantia@csc.ncsu.edu.  This address
doesn't go to the list, it only goes to the list administrators.
You can also send mail to atlantia-l@csc.ncsu.edu and it will
go to the atlantia@csc.ncsu.edu address.

1.4     How do I subscribe to the Merry Rose?  How do I unsubscribe?

All subscription and unsubscription requests must go to
majordomo@csc.ncsu.edu.  Sending an request to the list, will not
subscribe or unsubscribe you.  The best way to subscribe is to
send the following message to majordomo@csc.ncsu.edu:

subscribe atlantia
end

This tells the Majordomo software, which may process many mailing
lists, that you want to subscribe to the list named atlantia.
The software will then automatically pick up your address and
subscribe you to the list.  If you need to subscribe to another
address than where you are sending from you must structure the
message the following way:

subscribe atlantia <e-mail address@whereever>
end

Note that you  must use angle brackets around the address.  Other
types of brackets, or parentheses, will confuse the mailer.  To
unsubscribe to the list you just substitute the word "unsubscribe."
When you originally subscribe to the list, you will be sent a
message telling you exactly how to unsubscribe.  It is your
responsibility to keep this message and refer to it if you ever
want to unsubscribe.

1.5     How do I add my SCA name to the listing along with my e-mail address?

The last place the list was hosted allowed people to add comments
besides their e-mail address to the main list, but our current
place uses a newer version of the software that is set to strip
those comments out, and only keep the e-mail address.  This is done
because many times those comments were not formatted correctly and
just ended up being problems for the list administrators.

1.6     What are these four lines at the end of every message?

The Majordomo software that we are using has been configured to add
these four lines to the end of every message sent out in order to
remind people the correct procedure for unsubscribing to the list.
When you quote someone's message in a reply, you should take care
to delete those four lines so they won't end up in the message
twice (or more times).

1.7     Why isn't there a digest for the Merry Rose?

There is not a digest yet, but the possibility is being investigated.

1.8     Where can I get back posts from the Merry Rose?

All post from the Merry Rose are archived and can be found by anonymous
ftp at ftp.netcom.com in the directory /pub/lo/lovelace/atlantia.
If you don't know how to access anonymous ftp, contact your system
administrator.  Posts are archived by month and are compressed using
the Gnu zip format. I keep a copy of gunzip.exe for MS-DOS computers
in my ftp directory under /pub/lo/lovelace/utils, but if you use
another type of computer, you're on your own.  Most all gnu software,
however, can be found at the main gnu ftp site: prep.ai.mit.edu.

1.9     Am I allowed to publish Merry Rose postings in our newsletter?

The legalities of copyright ownership in an electronic medium are
currently murky.  In countries that are signatories to the Berne
Convention (which includes the USA and Canada), text is copyrighted
from the moment of creation.  However, text submitted tonewsgroups
and digests _may_ be different, as it is intended for a wide
distribution.  There is no clear answer in the USA at the present
time.  The polite thing to do, regardless of whether a lawyer
would tell you it is necessary, is contact the author(s) of the
article(s) in question, and ask for permission to publish.  Abide
by their wishes.  Assuming permission is given, you (or your
chronicler) probably want to save a hardcopy of the message giving
you permission.

1.10    Is there a badge for the Merry Rose people?

There is an unofficial badge that was presented to Lord Kendrick
Wayfarer at the Storvik Baronial Investiture in March of 1995.
The blazon is

[fieldless] On the seeds of a rose barbed and seeded proper, in fess two
roundels in pale, a billet fesswise and an increscent, all sable.

which is heraldese for a rose with a smiley on it. :-)  There have
been rumors of badges to be made, but as of yet none have surfaced.

1.11    Why do I keep hearing about a northern principality?

The topic of a principality in the northern reaches of Atlantia
is one that seems to crop up every now and then.  This list was
created in the midst of some of these talks and therefore received
a lion's share of posts on it near the beginning.  That has since
tapered off, but you may still hear people talk about it now and
then.  Apparently this issue is able to galvanize people on both
sides into almost despising the people on the other, while those
who don't feel strongly either way get caught in the middle.