Author:  David H Ritterskamp at DPCDES01
Date:    4/9/96  8:44 AM
Subject: Selecting Crowns, a collective reply

     Leifr wrote (and I'll reply point by point):

     Well, it seems to me that the point and problem with the system is
     that we WANT Kings who are both popular, and capable of handling the
     theatric aspects of the job (see Master James' latest missive).
Being
     a territorial prince FIRST, as I suggested elsewhere, and then
chosing
     between them for the best candidate I think is a nifty way of
     achieving this.

     (Popular, yes; politically popular, not necessarily.  I can think of
     several people who are popular, and yet not politically good
choices,
     the vagaries of politics being what they are.  Do you really want to
     leave the Crown up to popular vote?

     If this is attempted, I foresee (putting hand to forehead in full
     'fortuneteller' motif) candidates being 'elected', declaring
     'platforms', 'reforms', etc., in short, all the BS that goes along
     with mundane politics today.  NOT my idea of fun.)

     I think the Princes should be asked first if they can agree on one
of
     them being King.

     (See above.)

     Then, if that doesn't produce a consensus, I think the Landed Barons
     should act as Electors, and vote for their choice as King (if a
couple
     disagrees, half a vote each).

     (See above.)

      If you can't get 2/3rds of the Baronies to agree (that's 9 votes,
     right now), Then, by god, let the Candidates have a war.

     (That would be my first option rather than the last option.)

     I suspect we would get a war once every two or three years, with
     different principalities aligning differently each time.  That would
     reduce the common problem of lingering hard feelings, and would give
     us a variety of means for selecting our Crown.

     (I mostly agree here; I once wondered aloud why there weren't more
     events simulating 'border wars', with factions and the like, and was
     told that if that were to happen, pretty soon there'd be real
factions
     developing, and bad feelings because So And So kicked our butts last
     time, so it's us against them, and...etc.  Anything that avoids
     lingering hard feelings is a good thing.  Anything that PRECLUDES
hard
     feelings is even better.)

     NEXT!

     Alfredo writes:

     I would like to clarify that my idea was a series of Crown Tourneys
     that are as _open_ as the current single Crown Tourney.  Lord Leifr
     suggestion that Coronet Tourneys lead to a King would require a
change
     in Corpora as well as dividing all of Atlantia into Principalities.
     Lord Jonathan's regional-candidate idea would also require a change
in
     Corpora. Furthermore, I believe that regional competition for
tangible
     results (rather than brag rights) fosters Bad Blood.

     (First, I feel compelled to mention that I don't know enough about
     Corpora to say this with complete certainty.  HOWEVER...I clearly
     wasn't specific enough about it.  Take Two...

     A Northern, Central, Southern setup doesn't necessarily mean that
Joe
     Northern can't compete in Southern's tourney, just that if he, oh,
     say, fails to win Northern's and really feels that he's a viable
     candidate, he can drive (quick! examine that man) to Southern's [or
     Central's] tourney, possibly win, and be the 'Southern' candidate.
     Sorry, Alfredo-mea culpa on that one.  I would be the LAST person to
     advocate choosing candidates based on Region...then we really would
     have a nasty situation, with populace segments backing various
     candidates for their geographical affinity, rather than for the
     candidate they truly believed to be worthy.

     On the other hand, if Joe Northern drove down to Southern's tourney,
     that would be a plus for him in my book; he's showing that as a
     Northern candidate he has the courage of his convictions to drive
     clear down here in the lowlands to prove it [Vivat to HRH Galmr for
     doing just that @ Gulf Wars and various other decidedly 'Southern'
     events, and one of these days I plan to be as committed to a good
time
     to drive ungodly distances...[Black Tower, anyone?  Raise your
     hand...]

     Sorry to wax this loquacious, but, hey, where ELSE is anybody going
     listen without being able to interrupt? ~(:->)

     Last one:

     Eogan quoth:

     I beleive that the most signifigant thing he said was
     "...a good time had by all."
     Just reminding everyone :)

     (Why, thank you, Eogan.  Remind me to buy you at least a beer after
     get down off this soapbox.

     Remember, folx, I'm just exploring the current system and
     brainstorming alternatives, primarily because if people were happy
     with the current system, there wouldn't be much discussion on
     alternatives, now would there?

     ...If the idea is good, it'll carry itself; if the idea is not good,
     hey, that's what a discussion forum is for in the first place.

     *sits back down, empties a large tankard, hands one to Eogan, and
     settles back to watch the fireworks...*

     l8r,

     J. Blackbow

****

Jonathan, wanna just use me as a translation service until you get your act
together? *wry grin*

						In Service, I remain,

							melys

lisa lorenzin                          april is the cruelest month, breeding
lisa@trinet.com                        lilacs from the dead land, mixing
http://www.privnet.com/lisa            memory and desire...   - t. s. eliot