Re: VIRUS WARNING -- HARD DISK AT RISK

On Wed, 17 Apr 1996, Donna Hoblit wrote:

>   A NEW Trojan Horse Virus has emerged on the Internet with the name
>    PKZIP300.ZIP, so named as to give the impression that this file is a new
>   version of the PKZIP software used to "ZIP" (compress) files.
>
>   DO NOT DOWNLOAD this file under any circumstances!!! If you install or
>   expand this file, the virus WILL wipe your hard disk clean and affect
>  modems
>   at 14.4 and higher. This is an extremely destructive virus and there is NO
>   known protection through antivirus software because it's so new.
>
>   REPEAT: DO NOT DOWNLOAD ANY FILE NAMED PKZIP300 IN ANY FORM!

Actually, this is not a NEW virus.  It existed 5+ years ago, in the
PK300.ZIP format.  The company that makes the legitimate PK* products
is aware of it and has promised not to ever release version 3.0 of
PKZip.  To my knowledge, the latest (and most widely used) version of
PKZip is 2.04g.

In memory of Craig Shergold.

Uther Q.