King and Canvas

All hail all noble and kind patrons of the Merry Rose, but especially to
Dafydd ap Gwystl, from Eoghann mac Ailpein;

I have a question Dafydd ap Gwystl.  OK canvas is medival, cotton canvas is
not.  So from what materials (fibers) would they have made the canvas.

And aren't you the noble that taught that really cool class at the last
University ( the one in Chapel Hill) about Pensic buildings, if so I enjoyed
greatly.  OK I know that was 2 questions and a statement, so beat me. :-)