Re: Viking Ship Shelters (was Re: resources?)

On Fri, 17 May 1996, Mark Schuldenfrei wrote:

> I'd consider pegging the ends of the dowels, myself.  But I've never built
> such a tent, and am only beginning to learn woodworking and carpentry.
> (Actually, being lazy, I'd build a clamp out of 2x4.  Drill a hole, cut a
> notch, and screw together.  Let's see if the ascii art will work...
[...]

Actually I've found that pegging is not needed as long as the holes are
somewhat snug.  When I first drilled my holes, they were exactly the
size of the poles.  After the first few rainstorms, I now have to use a
hammer to get them in sometimes.  I've never had a problem with them
falling off though.

As far as the pole bending, except for Pennsic, once, I've never had it
up for more than a few days at a time, and since I never remember which
pole is which they get rotated.  My poles are 10' long and I don't have
a problem with them getting warped.

In service,
Kendrick

---