Re: A tree blasted

> On Wed, 22 May 1996, Alfredo el Bufon wrote:
> > My questions are two:
> >
> >  How is it that two separate Baronies (possibly in two separate
> >  Kingdoms) have such badges or devices that are so similar to one
> >  another?
>
> I can answer the first, at least in part.  Myrkwood was a barony of the
> East before the formation of Atlantia, and covered most of what is now
> Lochmere, Bright Hills and I think also Black Rose in the East.  When
> Atlantia went kingdom, lo these many years now, :), Myrkwood wanted to
> remain part of the East and managed to remain so for some time, but
> eventually collapsed and its territory was divided between Atlantia and
> the East.  Lochmere thus carries a close variation on the old Myrkwood
> arms.  When I first started playing in the SCA, about 7 years ago in
> Bright Hills, there was still some confusion about who went where in the
> division of Myrkwood territory.  More than once I answered a question
> about my home shire only to be asked "That's in East Kingdom, isn't it?"

Since I joined the SCA in Myrkwoode, I thought I might shed some light.
My earliest recollection of the confines of Myrckwode is that it
encompassed all of Maryland that wasn't Storvik (DC Metro and Southern
MD).  About 10 years ago, the then shire granted Northern and Western
Maryland to Bright Hills, a new group just forming, keeping Central
Maryland for themselves.  Other than the fact that all of Atlantia was
once in the East, Mirqwood never claimed any part of PA (where Black Rose
is).  It is my understanding that Muirkwood was part of the East longer
than the rest of Atlantia, but I will have to defer to whose history goes
back further than mine on this one.

Pennsic will be the 8th Anniversary of the creation of the Barony of
Lochmere.  Lochmere was created by joining the Shire of Airendale
(Western Central MD) and the Shire of Mirkwoud* (Eastern Central MD).  As
such it inherited the arms of both of the former groups.  The groups were
placed on inactive status and Lochmere designed its own armory but, wanted
to keep reserved the old stuff for posterity.

*It was once a Barony, but after a number of internal promblems and
political infighting was downgraded to a Shire (I forget the year, more
than 12 years ago).

You may have notice that Muirkwoulde isn't spelled the same way twice in
this missive.  This is an old custom from the group (never spell it the
same way twice in the same document).  It started  when they were told by
the Heralds that we could spell it any way we wanted as long as it was not
the way it was spelled in Lord of the Rings.

Galmr.
(Who, out of practice, is running out of differnt ways to spell the name
of his old group).