Re: A tree blasted

[...]
> I happened to be looking at the on-line armorial the other
> day when two pieces of armory caught my eye:
>
>     Myrkewoode, Barony of
>         Ermine, a tree blasted and a chief wavy sable.
>     Lochmere, Barony of
>         Ermine, a tree blasted and eradicated and a chief wavy
>         within a bordure sable.

[...]
>  What do these symbols signify, and who bears them?
>
> -- Alfredo
>
> Alfredo:

[...]
> As for what the device signifies, I suspect it has something to do with
> the fact that winters in Lochmere are not nice things.  But I doubt
> that the ermine tails were meant to be trees in the background,
> although I'm purely speculating.

Perhaps "signify" is not the correct word.  Let me put it another way.
I know that neither piece of armory is the arms of its Barony, because
neither includes a laurel wreath.  Could the Lochmere one be, say, a
badge that any denizen might wear in civic pride?  Or is it, perhaps, a
signal honor bestowed on the best artisans?  Or the best woodsmen?
Perhaps it has been registered but never used for anything.  I am so
new to this Kingdom that I have no idea.

As to the concept of winters in Lochmere; let me tell you that in the
area around the Barony of Delftwood, whence I came hither, the word
"Winter" refers to a season that does not occur even in the southern
reaches of the East Kingdom, let alone any part of fair Atlantia.
OTOH, the word "Spring" is used there to refer to the brief, muddy
time between Winter and Road Construction, there being no Spring in
the Atlantian sense of the word.

-- Alfredo

--
Alfredo el Bufon