Re: Euwww, English Again! :-)

Quoth Miriam Rachael:

> I think it must have been raiding parties on both sides- 'ave you noticed 'ow
> many vowels Cockney English 'as?  An' it does seem to be lackin' in consonants
> at times...per'aps they left 'em in Wales as a trade?

Well, in truth, Cockney English has no more vowels than any other form of
the language.  It is missing some consonants, though, which might account
for the appearance of more vowels!

> > (In the cold dry technical sense, of course, Tibor is right - there
> > are vowels in Welsh which don't look like it to the rest of us - W,
> > for example)
>
> Well, one has to make some things do double-duty in times of shortage!
> They've been under vowel-rationing restrictions for so long, you know....

Actually, I s'pect it's just a plot to confuse the non Welsh speakers.  :)
There probably isn't really a vowel shortage at all.  It just seemed like
a good way to annoy those Romans with their stupid alphabet, and by the
time Romans were gone everyone was used to it ....

--Alianora