Re: Euwww, English Again! :-)

> I had heard the French once sent their consonants to the Germans to be
> laundered, but they came back with way too much starch in them.  The French
> refused to pay, the Germans repossessed the consonants...it was ugly.

I think its the French that use the mangle too much when laundering words.
Allow me to illustrate.  Although I am now a happy subject of the Atlantian
crown, I do belong to a little East Kingdom group called the Order of the
Maunch.  Our badge has a big floppy sleeve on it: the Maunch.  Now, I took
it upon myself to compose a Motto for this Order:

  Manicas convolveramus atque laborescamus
 (Let's roll up our sleeves and get to work.)

Well, in the course of devising that motto, I found that the Latin word
"manica" in that motto is the same word as "maunch", but it has gone through
the French laundry, where it not only got mangled, but also got attached to
the _tunica_ instead of the _toga_!

-- Alfredo el Bufon

--
Alfredo el Bufon