Re: Marshmallows

> Please allow me, Miriam the herb lady to help out with this one.
>
> Marshmallow is a plant. The root of which has been used medicianally and as a
> confection form centuries. The root is white and very mucilagenous (kind of
> chewy and slimy, but not unpleasantly so). When roasted over a fire it is
> quite sweet. It was used medicinally as a kind of peptol bismol as a
> decoction of the root produces a thick milky, slightly sweet brew that coats
> the digestive system and was used for stomach upsets of all types. It is high
> in nutrients and was and is a popular treat to roast for the children. The
> confection was made to be an artificial version of the root treat.

Yes, this is just the sort of information that I crave.  Thank you!
If you don't mind, I have still more questions.
In look, texture and taste, are artificial marshmallows as close to
the original as say, margarine, or caramel corns?
When was the artificial form invented?  I'm guessing there wouldn't
have been much call for it until getting a pound of sugar was easier than
digging around in a marsh, and I seem to recall reading that sugar was
scarce in the Period.  Were marshes, and marsh mallows, scarce?

> Technically, the Marshmallow is the root of the Mallow that grows in the
> Marsh, as other mallows grow elsewhere. If you would like more info or the
> documentions let me know. I looked it up recently and it is in my head, but
> the docs aren't at my finger tips right now.

Yes, I would.  Thank you.

> P.S. I have chopped marshmallow in stock if anyone wants to try some.

Yes, I would to try some.  Please let me know about buying some.

-- Alfredo el Aburrido

--
Alfredo el Bufon
Elvegast, Windmaster's Hill, Atlantia