Re[2]: List explosion

       And, frankly, a lot of the clever repartee taking up band-width
     lately isn't quite as clever to those not taking part as it is to
     those participating.

     [That, my lady, is open to debate.  But if you don't find it
     entertaining, well...see below]
      My subscription to the list is at work,
     [so's mine.]
     and I'm not actually getting much work done lately -- I spend a lot of
     time deleting messages.  Can we limit on-line discussion to things of
     broader interest, please?
     [that's a little vague, milady - do you propose to break _everything_
     down?

     I personally don't have much of an interest in rapier activities, and
     yet when the flood of rapier-related stuff came down the pike, I read
     the first couple of lines, saw that it wasn't anything I wanted to
     read, and proceeded to the next message.

     Likewise, I don't have a _huge_ interest in combat archery scores
     (since my name's not on the list) but I flipped through it anyway.

     Likewise, I'm sure that there are other things that people will come
     up with that neither you nor I nor quite a few other people will be
     interested in.

     The solution I use is that with my mail program, there's a way to set
     a "rule" that dumps all Internet messages (Atlantian is about all I
     get, but I don't have any work-related internet addresses, if that
     tells you something) to a special folder.

     If you have this option, I suggest you explore it; but asking a group
     like this NOT to talk is, well, kind of like herding cats.

     Thanks, and sorry if I'm cranky -- it's Friday afternoon, and I had 68
     messages when I came in this morning, of which about 3 were
     work-related.
     [Been there, doing that - ]
     Melisande
     [& Melisande, one final point:  IMO, a lively net (which wasn't
     occurring (that I know of) when I first got on here) is a sign of an
     active, interested community.  If the dialogue gets a little silly and
     even trite, well, I just skip over it.  And I've been told that I post
     a LOT.  I don't disagree with that at all...but if there was any way
     to tell that even one thing I've put up here wasn't amusing to
     somebody besides myself, I'd be shocked.]

     Apologies,but I like it the way it is,

     J. Blackbow