Re: List explosion

>      I don't mean to be rude, and I'm not without sin myself, but I
>      respectfully suggest that we could do without a digest if people would
>      just keep their personal mail personal.  For example, using the list
>      to publish a birth announcement was fine, but perhaps people could
>      have sent congratulatory notes off-line.  And, frankly, a lot of the
>      clever repartee taking up band-width lately isn't quite as clever to
>      those not taking part as it is to those participating.  My
>      subscription to the list is at work, and I'm not actually getting much
>      work done lately -- I spend a lot of time deleting messages.  Can we
>      limit on-line discussion to things of broader interest, please?

An excellent suggestion!  But how to implement it?
I propose periodic posting of the Rules of the House,
which would include a rule something like this:

  If you wish to send a message about doing some inconsequential
  "stage business" in the virtual Tavern, please do _not_ send
  it to the list.  Instead, send it to the individual addresses,
  listed below, of those people who like that sort of thing.
  [... list of address omitted because of imaginariness ... ]

Most mailer programs will be able to have all those addresses
aliased to "crockery" or some such alias, making it almost as
easy to send to as to the Merry Rose list itself.

What do you think?