RE: Seneschal's July Acorn Letter

At 10:26 PM 6/3/96, Jack Helm wrote:
>Dear Lords and Ladies of the Merry Rose, please consider this lady's plea
>for in as long as I have been and always will be a supporter and friend of
>Master Thomas, what this lady says is not only wise but a must for any
>society that has this type of widespread and near immediate communication.
>
>Vivat to you, M'lady for your wisdom and level head.
>
>Michael Ryan

I must respectfully disagree.

I shall set aside my personal differences with Sedalia and the BoD.
Instead, I object to the notion that we should sit tight and await further
developments.

This pattern, alas, combined with the closed nature of most SCA decision
making, make abuse of power all too prevalent.

What is needed is *information.*  The phone number of the Society Seneschal
is in the Acorn, I believe, as is that of the members of the Board.

If you desire more facts- *call* people.  Ask for their side of the story.
Do not simply wait for a solution to come down from on high or for facts to
develop on their own.

OTOH, it is appropriate for those who do call to post the results of their
inquiries here (unless they are specifically asked to keep confidences).
This will prevent a horde of people from troubling the same officers with
the same questions.  It will also allow people to share information.

I have maintained for a long time that the closed nature of SCA decision
making and the social pressure to avoid discussion of 'unpleasant' matters
makes it impossible for even the ablest, most honest decision makers to
gain the confidence of the people.  Alas, the Board has failed to take
steps to fully allieviate this difficulty or institutionalize any of its
recent "openess" initiatives.

Harold Feld
SCA
Yaakov HaMizrachi

"Do not ask 'Why are these days not as good as the days of old?' This
question is not prompted by wisdom." -Eccl.