SCA Insurance

Poster: Tom Brady <tbrady@nando.net>

On Sat, 29 Jun 1996 (neat trick, that), His Highness wrote:
> Part of the
> money each member sends in goes toward the incredibly high insurance premium the
> SCA pays to protect all SCAdians from liability.

With all due respect, Your Highness, I would point out that the idea that
a large part of membership fees are spent on insurance is a
common, though inaccurate assumption. According to the 1996 Budget (which
can be found at http://www.sca.org/BOD/1996.budget.html), the annual cost
for insurance for the Society is $58,700, of which $35,000 is General
Liability, which covers the situations you describe (the balance goes to
cover Equestrian, Property, and Director and officer liability). This sounds
like a lot until you divide it by the (very approximate) total dues-paying
membership of around 25,000.

> Not to mention the kingdom newsletter,
> event discounts (sometimes, i.e. Pennsic), the right to vote and answer pollings
> that effect you, T.I. and the list goes on.  I'll buy that for a dollar or thirty
> five of them for that matter.

There are other benefits involved, the merits of which have been discussed
elsewhere; I have no problem with those. But I am not convinced that
insurance costs are a valid justification for pay-to-fight.

Regards,
Duncan MacKinnon