Re: courtesy and respect - random thoughts

Poster: "Terry L. Neill" <Neilltl@ptsc.slg.eds.com>

Mark Schuldenfrei <schuldy@abel.math.harvard.edu> wrote:

>I've seen plenty of lists where "they [royals] weren't official
>unless they said they were", and the lists were much better off for it.

Actually, In my opinion, the Royals are better off for it, too.  Imagine
having *every single* post you make to the list being treated as a Royal
Pronouncement.

Hypothetical list conversation:

Populace: "Our group can't find a site with a kitchen.  We think we'll have
to cancel our annual 'Knight of the Emerald Guido Samhain Hunt Event'"

King:  "You know, every event doesn't *have* to have a feast.  Your group
could consider a really great event with no feast and we'd all have a great
time anyway."

Populace: "Wow!  The King has ordered that there be no more feasts at events
during his reign!  ARGH!"  (Large list bru-ha-ha.)

And here our Poor Old King was just trying to be helpful, NOT making
Pronouncements From The Throne.

I agree with Melys and Tibor.  IMHO, e-mail from the King/Queen should be
taken the same as e-mail from anyone else unless s/he says specifically it's
a Royal Pronouncement as opposed to an opinion of the person who happens, at
times, to be Ruler of Atlantia.

        - Anarra

(The above conversation is a piece of fiction. Any resemblance to actual
Sovereigns, Living or Dead, is purely co-incidental and unintended by the
author.  ;)