Re: lactose vs lactic acid (Was:Attn. Brewers and Vintners)

Poster: Karen Louise Flessas <LOUISE.FLESSAS@worldnet.att.net>

7/1/96 , you wrote:

>Poster: Henry Best <jstrauss@gmu.edu>

>I'm not sure if "lactic acid" and "lactose" are the same thing. My
>books are all in storage.

By definition -

Lactose is a disaccharide (a sugar) which breaks down to glucose and galactose.

Lactic acid is a colorless syrupy liquid formed in milk, sauerkraut, and in
certain types of pickles by the fermentation of the sugars.  (Note - it is
also formed during muscular activity by the breakdown of glycogen)

(I knew taking Chemisty would come in useful, one day!)

Frau Johanna von Sudeborn

LOUISE.FLESSAS@worldnet.att.net