DISC: Public correction

Poster: "David H Ritterskamp" <dhritter@dpcmail.dukepower.com>

Poster: "Toscano, James" <James.Toscano@den.mmc.com>

"There is never a time to publicly correct an authority figure except in
cases were a law is about to be violated or someone is about to get killed.
As a figure of some authority and respect they deserve the courtesy of
discrete private consultation on any behaviors."

        [Giacomo:  We can extend that to the following:

"The ONLY time to publicly correct ANYBODY is when a law is about to be
violated. ("...or someone is about to get killed" being a trifle redundant
in that case.)  You can easily remove that chunk about "As a figure of some
authority and respect they deserve...etc."; doesn't anybody deserve the
courtesy of not being taken to task in public?  For that matter, doesn't the
public deserve to not have to stand there and listen to it?

It's embarrassing for both sides, and only slightly more so for the person
who made the mistake...

When somebody screws up, it doesn't do anybody any good to get ripped for it
in public; that sort of demeaning action is reserved for 1) children and 2)
military recruits.

I don't know any of either group.

Speaking from experience, from both ends,

Ld. Jonathan Blackbow
[Bet you were all wondering where I was...]