Re[2]: lactose vs lactic acid (Was:Attn. Brewers and Vintner

Poster: "Chuck Graves" <chuck_graves@mail.hq.faa.gov>

Greetings, all.

>Lactic acid is a colorless syrupy liquid formed in milk, sauerkraut, and in
>certain types of pickles by the fermentation of the sugars.  (Note - it is
>also formed during muscular activity by the breakdown of glycogen)

For the record, koumiss does not taste like sauerkraut or pickles...of
course, I seem to remember a mixed drink using pickle juice...but I was
young then and the bartenders were sick.

I also wouldn't recommend champagne and buttermilk...blechh.

I don't know if I mentioned it before but bottled koumiss should be handled
with respect...it can be quite explosive. And don't get downstream when it's
being opened unless you subscribe to the literature on the beautifying
effects of milk baths.

Regards,
Tadhg