Re: MR: Disc: Pay-to-Fight

Poster: Michael and MJ Houghton <herveus@access.digex.net>

Alfredo el Bufon mused:

> Last week, it came to the attention of this Tavern that a certain
> Atlantian kingdom law (one that requires all fighters to be paid
> members of the Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc) had the
> effect of preventing a certain subject of Atlantia (one who was
> too disgusted with the Board of Directors to make any endorsement
> of their Corporation) from fighting.
>
> I think that it is woth discussing (even if only to dismiss) the
> possibility that this was not a side-effect.  That is, is it
> possible that Atlantia's pay-to-fight rule was designed precisely
> to prevent such people from fighting?

When pay-to-play was the Corporate policy, Atlantia implemented pay-to-
fight (which was part of complying). The kingdom List Mistress then
set up policies and procedures to make this work. When the board then
repealed pay-to-play, Atlantia was free to no longer require pay-to-fight.

However, at the relevant curia (Michael and Seonaid's I believe), it
was noted that changing the system around would be another opportunity
for beaureaucratic confusion and SNAFU. Thus it was decided to retain
pay-to-fight. There was no hint or suggestion that it was aimed at
preventing those who would not tithe from fighting.

This is not intended to be a dismissal of the possibility, although I
would want to see actual affirmative evidence of intent before accepting
the premise.

yours,
Herveus