Disc: Pay-to-Fight

Poster: jsussman@cpcug.org (Jeffrey Sussman)

Greetings from Richard!

Disclaimer: The following is my memory of conversations with the decision
makers.

Pay to fight was not motivated my bureaucratic laziness.  The bureaucratic
efficacy was a happy side effect.

Put way too simplisticly, the idea is that the fighters "use" considerable
resources and should contribute to the SCA through membership.

Another desirable side effect is to encourage, or mandate, that fighters
have an opportunity to at least see what is going in the whole kingdom and
the SCA through the Acorn and the TI.

It is an open philosophical question whether the reduction in personal
choices caused by "pay to fight" are offset by the benefit to the kingdom of
having all authorized fighters be members.