Costs (longish)

Poster: "Terry L. Neill" <Neilltl@ptsc.slg.eds.com>

Just in general response to some of the cost issues, and directed to any
newcomers on the list:

I've been in the SCA for 20 years.  It does NOT have to be expensive!  (Even
in today's era of slowly increasing site fees.)

I owned one set of garb, one basket and one sleeping bag for YEARS.  I
either brought my own food or attended the pot-luck Feast-alternative (a
tradition on the west end of the continent).

I hitched rides with friends in return for gas money or service.

Garb:  $20 (It's lasted >10 years - Good investment!)  Haunting sale fabric
tables and Goodwill bed sheets are even cheaper.

Basket: gift from Grandmother (but I've seen similar larger ones at The
Pottery for under $3.)

Sleeping Bag: Borrowed from Parents.  But I've seen them at K-Mart/Wal-Mart/
Target for around $20 and Atlantia doesn't have so many camping events, anyway.

Site fees in the western end of the world are generally in the $5 - $8 range
(no feast).

Gas Share also in the $5 - $8 range (Here in this small Kingdom.  In An Tir
gas share can run into the $30 range to get to the farther parts of Canada.)

So, by going to 1 event a month (That's pretty active) I could spend $16
plus food (which I'd have to buy anyway) per event which comes to $192 a
year.  VERY inexpensive.

Being an impoverished high school and college student pushed me more into
the service side of the SCA - Autocratting, field and court heralding,
Children's activities, etc - things that didn't require buying supplies.

But a tatting shuttle and a ball if knit-crosheen is <$4 and embroidery
hoops are $.50 and I can often find DMC for $.25 a skein.  One can put a
drop spindle together almost for free, then ask one's local living history
museum if they are going to DO anything with the fleeces they shear as a
demo for the tourists.

There's lots of ways to thoroughly enjoy the SCA for very little money.  I
don't want to see our hobby become TOO expensive!  I've always loved that we
could participate at any different level and have fun at all of them.

Now I have a Real Job and a Real Car and can participate at a more expensive
level.

But, you know, I'm not having any more FUN than I did when I was in school.

        - Anarra