Re: Tolerance

Poster: jonesj@SunBelt.Net (Phillip Jones)

On Fri, 12 Jul 1996 14:42:19 -0400 (EDT), you wrote:

snip
>Therefore I call upon you, upon us all, to be MORE critical of
>demonstrated misbehavior.  Not to be rude, not to repeat rumour,
>but to be honest, polite, and intolerant.  Yes, intolerant.
>
>Tolerance is one of the highest virtues of the SCA and its people.
>But tolerance of misbehaviour, discourtesy, blow-sloughing, and
>other evil is not a virtue, it is weakness.  And a weakness that
>lets such behaviour continue.
Vivat!

 Chivalry is not swallowing your pride when someone doesn't take what
you think is a good blow, but is stopping to discuss it. Chivalry is
being honest, even though it takes more enrgy than a small lie. If it
is chivalrous to call attention to other rude behaviour, then it is
chivalrous to call attention to improper fighting ettiquette, and the
time to do it is, for rapier, on the field. Marshals ask "were you
satisfied with the conduct of that match?" and that is THE time to say
no if you weren't. Call for Calibration. Let your opponent know that
his armour is outside of what you think is standard, and why.

Chivalry is a harder course than the expedient, chosen because it is
Right and True, not easier or less dangerous.

>Be intolerant.  Be intolerant of evil in others.  Be more intolerant
>of evil in Atlantians, for they can by their misbehavior hurt the
>honour of our Kingdom.  Be still more intolerant of evil within your
>own household and friends, and be most intolerant of evil and misbehaviour
>within yourself.

Thank you for your reminder that evil does exist, and will try to
infiltrate, to insinuate, to besmirch our dream, that we must be ever
vigilant, and yes, intolerant.

Phillip Bell