Re: Disc: What is a knight?

Poster: Lance Harrop <lharrop@mrj.com>

Mistress Deirdre writes:

> Lord Leifr challenges me to name those knights I hold as exemplars of
> chivalry.  Much as I might wish to give praise, yet I will decline to do so
> in this forum.  There are many worthy knights in Atlantia and elsewhere who
> are unknown to me.  I will not offer them any insult by failing to name them.
>  And my opinion in these matters is only that, my opinion not a standard by
> which to judge the quality of a knight.

I would not say so much challenge as ask.  You could not insult those who
are not known to you, as they would realize you had no grounds to measure
them.  In fact, they would likely flock to make your acquaintence (as any
red-blooded lord should want to do) and impress you with their singular
embodiment of chivalry.

As for those you know, and would not name as an exampler, why, if they
hold your opinion in the due regard it is worth, they might well seek to
modify their behavior and thereby gain your good opinion.  This is, after
all, what we all want.  I fear the behavior of far too many in Atlantia
has been based on seeking the good opinion of ones whose regard is not
worth much, because people of Courtesy and Chivalry have been far too
quiet with their own opinions.

And if the knight disdains your opinion, well, who cares what he thinks.

In Service
Leifr Johansson