Re: Battle Poetry

Poster: Corun MacAnndra <corun@access.digex.net>

Alfredo wriggled:

>Your Excellency, I am indeed in favor of your proposed track of classes.
>However, I must protest that I am ill-equipped to teach or design a class
>on the subject at hand.  I am a non-fighter who was merely guessing that
>the metaphors fighters use betoken a deep transcendent feeling.  (In fact,
>one fighter has since indicated privily to me that they do not.)  My idea
>(that the passage I quoted, or any literature from the Period, expressed
>that hypothetical feeling better than the words our fighters have already
>chosen) was a guess upon a guess, one which I fear was mistaken.

Ah, but good Alfredo, is not the intention to teach our warriors (and others
for that matter) more of the gentler arts and give them a more flamboyant
way of challenging an opponent to combat, or to sing the praises of that
opponent or our fair Kingdom? As for the fellow who indicated that his
comments about his opponents do not convey the transcendant feeling you
suspected, he may only be one among the many for whom this is not so. And if
he is not, then verily it is then our duty to instruct those who view their
opponents as quarry rather than the worthy warriors they are, and impart to
them the language and skills to cry challenge to them in a way that would
make the Revered Bard Himself arise from his grave and take notice, or to
make the legendary Cyrano weep at the beauty of it.

As for your protestations and the self prophesed denegration of your skills,
I will take these comments as mere modesty on your part, and say to you that
I have encountered your wit here at the Rose herself, and say to you Sir,
that you are indeed qualified and well equipped to serve this need. And so
saying, serve we all, to so school these scions in such sapid sagacity. How
say you now?

In service,
Corun