Re: What's the Point(less)?

Poster: MarsaliFox@aol.com

<<  For those of you unfamiliar with the term Potlatch, it is a
 practice developed by the Kwakutel (sp? Northwest Coast) Indians.  They
 would get together and build a large fire and you gained prestige by
 being the one to burn up / destroy the most valuable goods.  There's a
 lot more to it than this, but I believe you get the idea. >>

My understanding of a potlatch is that wealth is redistributed, not
destroyed.  The persons goods were given away, with particular attention to
the needs of the elderly and poor.  Persons spent years collecting sufficient
items for a give-away and entire families contributed so that the host would
have enough items to gain prestige.