On Fireproofing Canvas

Poster: Gregory Stapleton <gregsta@MICROSOFT.com>

I thought I remembered reading something on the Rialto once and I was
able to dig it up, thank goodness.
I've not tried this method myself, so I cannot vouche for its accuracy.
I would suggest getting a square foot or so of canvas and giving it a
go.  If you try this, please post your results.

>From Rialto Archives:

For those of you with period pavilions, alum is also used as a non-toxic
fire retardant for fabric. Before you apply your favorite waterproofing,
soak the fabric in a strong solution of alum and let dry. This method
was also used to fireproof sails on ships of war

For what it's worth,
Gawain