Re: INFO: Need blazon for chirurgeon's badge...

Poster: Robert J Welenc <rjwelenc@erols.com>

>I know it's something called a "fleem," which I imagine is shaped like a
>pruning hook or sickle, but I'm unsure of colors and I might be totally off
>the mark.  I'm making a baldric for a friend before Pennsic, so I need to
>know how to proceed.
>
>Can anyone help?
>
>Thanks!
>Demetria

Gules, on a goutte argent a fleam gules.  To translate for non-heralds:
Red background, on a white teardrop a red fleam.

Fleams are really weird looking instruments that look kind of like an
upside-down 2 or a backwards 5.  (And now,good gentles, in an amazing feat
of prestidigitation, Alanna will attempt to draw it, with her own ten little
thumbs!)
                                             ____
                                            /   _\

                                           /   /
                                          /    |
                                         /     \
                                        /       \
                                        |        \
                                        |         \
                                       /          |
                                      /           |
                                     |            \
                                     |             \
                                    /               \
                                   /     _________   \
                                  |               |   |
                                  |              /    |
                                  |             /     |
                                  |        ____/      |
                                  |      /            |

Weeelll....sorta.  If this isn't clear enough, ask your herald to show you
the Pic-Dic drawings for fleam and goutte.  (Period teardrops had wavy tails
like this, rather than the modern depiction of a sphere with a pointy top.)

In service,

Alanna