Re: Gunnery

Poster: Dexter Guptill <dguptil@erols.com>

At 12:31 PM 7/19/96 -0400, you wrote:

>Poster: Dan Mackison <DanM@skantech.com>
>
>atlantia@csc.ncsu.edu wrote:
>>
>> Poster: Dexter Guptill <dguptil@erols.com>
>> [snip]
>> Leave us not forget that Atlantia has a gunnery program second only to the
>> East. :-)
>>

>Gunnery? I haven't heard anything about guns in the SCA. Or are we
>talking about something else?
>
>Thomas MacFinn (mka Dan Mackison)

So far, just demonstration firing with blanks using pre-1650 artillery at
events like Pennsic. There's a few cannon-cockers up East, and a fair number
of musketeers. As far as I know, I'm the first non-Easterner to serve as
duty gunner for a battle (Town battle last year). I have a small mortar, as
well as a CA 1390 handegonne and a matchlock caliver. Syr Thorbrandr has a
collection of goodies that would make your eyes bug out, including a .78
wheellock musket he built. There are a few more muskets and handegonnes
floating around the kingdom as well.

BTW, I need a musketeer and handegonner to shoot my two small pieces at
Opening Ceremonies. Got a powder monkey for the mortar. Black powder
experience preferred, but I'll train to any extent necessary. As far as
safety goes, Jamestown Settlement trusts me to fire matchlocks and cannon
around tourists, and I've served as an instructor for a local School of the
Musketeer -- dozens of student musketeers and six student cannon crews with
no crispy critters.

Other musketeers and gunners in Atlantia, let's get some turnout for Opening
Ceremonies on Monday of War Week. See Don Roderic of Basing in the Duchy of
Grunwald encampment Friday, Saturday, or Sunday for
rules/inspection/etcetera. *Note: All powder at Pennsic MUST be kept at the
magazine @ Don Rodric's in a marked & locked box.