Re: Anatomy for Fighters 101

Poster: "N.C. Honeycutt" <lawless@isaac.net>

-- [ From: N.C. Honeycutt * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

Milord,
Speaking from first hand knowledge....a broad sword can be a dangerous thing
.  I work in a medical center and a few people know I do that "middle ages
thing" on the week-ends.  Last week they called me up to the ED.  Two
brothers got in a drunken fight and one took a sword to the other.  His
right shoulder was almost completely torn off.  Heavy tissue damage as well
a broken clavicle and under his arm his ribs were bruised and possibly
cracked ( I didn't stay to see the x-rays come out....he had to go to
surgery asap). On the other hand....an epee wouldn't have caused the blunt
force trauma that the larger weapon did.  On the whole I'd rather be stabbed
by a foil than another weapon ( if I absolutely had to be stabbed you
understand)  the size of the blade would be a factor but also the pressure
behind it.  ie more force to lift and swing a larger weapon than a lighter (
i know elementary physics).  The stabbing action of the epee would be bad,
but probably survivable, providing that it didn't hit any organs or arteries
or veins and you didn't get an infection.  I am not sure, but just GUESSING
a number of rapier deaths were probably due to blood loss from a the number
of wounds rather than one major killing blow.
I have some resources here and at work, I'll check on it some more after
Pennsic.  I'm rather interested in this subject.... what would the injuries
be.....
Thanks for bringing it up.

Emma Lagheles / House BlackSea
(ps some of this could be wrong...I didn't look anything up I was just going
from memory and I just got off shift so my minds not what it normally is :p.
)