Re: Mundane Military/SCA Overlap <was: My Thanks for the In

Poster: Michael Ford/HNS <Michael_Ford@notesgw.hns.com>

Good afternoon everyone,

Tadhg "Chuck Graves" <chuck_graves@mail.hq.faa.gov> writes;

>Tadhg carefully blows the dust off the Apocrypha SCA and turns to the Book of
Nimitz:

>And while on cruise in the Med, the Captain was told of the occasion of a
lofty observer.

>Where upon, the Captain sent for his Marshall of SCA troops and commanded him
to commence exercise of weapons.

>And there was a great noise upon the decks from the clash of glave, sword, and
shield.

>Upon seeing this, the observer sent messengers to his leaders, being enemies
of the Men of the Nimitz.

>And the messengers said unto their leaders, Verily they prepare for the
gravest end. Even now, they train to battle us after a holocaust AND be
victorious.

>So are we told, how the Men of the Nimitz worked to preserve peace.

Having heard several versions of this story even before I was stationed aboard
the Nimitz, I wanted to find out the truth, if any, about what was said to
happen.  I asked several of the crew and  officers (including the Captain) who
had been on board for as many as 4 years, if this or any version of the story
was true.  To a man, the reply was, there is no way that the Captain would have
allowed SCA fighters on the flight deck, much less at sea with a Russian bomber
flying overhead.  The fact is that there would be some record, in the way of
pictures, a log entry, a story in the Nimitz newsletter and most assuredly
video from the flight deck cameras.  None of these things exist, because they
didn't happen, my efforts to be allowed to have a fighter practice onboard were
even nixed.  Though, I did get some interest from those I asked who thought it
would be cool if it really did happen.  Sorry for debunking this story for
those of you who liked it:^).  Have fun,

Sean MacKay