Re: Long day

Poster: Dick Eney <dickeney@access.digex.net>

On Wed, 31 Jul 1996 edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com wrote:

> BTW, does anyone know a song called "Catalan Vengence"?
> When I used to hang out in Settmour Swamp I heard it
> fairly regularly, but all I remember of it now is,
> "these six gold rings were dearly bought" and "he got
> Lalange".  Now I wonder if it had something to do with
> Roger de Flor.

No, and the line about Lalage isn't from "Catalan Vengeance", either --
it's from Ewan the Mad Wanderer's parody of Kipling's "Lalage".  The story
of "Catalan Vengeance" is based on a real incident, when the infantry of
the Great Company suckered the Duke of Athens into trying to charge them
across a marsh (which the infantry could negotiate, but horses with
armored riders couldn't), and considerably predates "Tirant lo Blanc".
(I've got the text, if anyone is interested...)

|---------Master Vuong Manh, C.P., Storvik, Atlantia---------|
|Now, let's stop and think: how would Bugs Bunny handle this?|
|----------------(dickeney@access.digex.net)-----------------|