Re: Cut n Paste from Online OED

Poster: edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com

>      C. 1330 R. Brunne Chron. (1810) 320 The kyng said & did crie, pe
> pape was heretike;
>
>      A. 1340 Hampole Psalter x. 1 Heretikes & fals breper;
>
>      C. 1400 Maundev. (Roxb.) xvi. 73 If I be ane heretyc..pan es all
> heresy pat here es writen.

I'm guessing that some of the 'p's I see in these citations were thorns
in the OED Online, and depending on the path the posting took, some
Merry Rosers did see them as thorns, others as some stranger character.

I noticed on the Demonstration Pages of the still-unfinished public
OED Online, they use little letter-sized GIF files for things like
the yogh and the dagger that the makers of the Extended Character
Set forgot about.

> 1599 Shaks. Much Ado i. i. 236 Thou wast euer an obstinate heretique
> in the despight of Beautie.

Now, I can see how they'd want to say this instead of "William Shakespeare,
'Much Ado About Nothing' Act. I, Scene 1, line 236" in the _hardcopy_
version, to keep it down to 20 volumes or so, but would it kill them to
make the online version expand the abbreviations?

-- Alfredo

Alfredo el Bufon
Elvegast, Windmaster's Hill, Atlantia
edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com