Re: Query re: A&S/heraldry comp at Pointless

Poster: edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com

> As far as displaying unregistered devices...I don't think you can..BUT
> perhaps one of our heralds on line could clarify the rules and customs
> for that for us.

I seem to recall in "Tirant lo Blanc" that that Tirant not only flew
a standard of his family arms but also devices that he made up on the
spot and commissioned to be made into flags.

  I may be misremembering; if anyone has the book on hand, could you
  look it up?  It'd be when he was in Constantinople.

  Maybe it only happens in books.

  Maybe it's one of those medieval practices that are discouraged in
  these current middle ages.

BTW, another there's another heraldic practice in TlB (in the England
section) that I don't see done in the SCA:  When Tirant knew that he'd
be using the services of a herald (e.g., to deliver a cartel of defiance)
he'd buy a really spiffy cloak for the purpose of giving it to the
herald.  (Then the herald would go to the recipient and say something
like, "I have a message for you from Tirant lo Blanc, who gave me this
cloak".)

  Would this be considered an heraldic practice for the purposes of
  the contest?

> and although documentation is not required, it is always nice.

Interestingly, in the computer field the reverse is true.

-- Alfredo

Alfredo el Bufon
Elvegast, Windmaster's Hill, Atlantia
edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com