Re: MR-Disc: Registration of Arms

Poster: edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com

If I saw someone flying a banner of my arms, as that Eastern Peer
recently did, I think I'd handle it something like this:

"Did you make this banner?"

   "Yes."

"Well, it's really very, very nice workmanship.  I must say
I'm touched.  Is it a gift for me, or may I offer you something
for the time and materials?"

   "No, this isn't for you at all.  It's my banner.  Everyone
   in my barony associates this symbol with me."

"Incorrectly.  Why don't you think up some other symbol for
yourself and make a new banner.  In the meantime, I'd be happy
take this one of your hands for you."

   "No, I'm going to keep this banner.  As I said, everybody
   who knows me knows this banner."

"Well, you certainly have every right to fly my arms as your
banner, and there's nothing I can do to stop you, but there's
one thing you will never be able to do:  You'll never get this
registered with the College of Arms of the SCA, Inc."

   "I don't want to get it registered."

"That's clear enough.  But even if you wanted to, you CAN'T.
Not ever.  Not for a million dollars.  Not with all the kings
horsemen and all his foot soldiers.  Never!  So there."

-- Alfredo

Alfredo el Bufon
Elvegast, Windmaster's Hill, Atlantia
edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com