Registration of Attire

Poster: edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com

> > > Well, -if- I ever had this problem, I would be ticked.
> > > There is a reason you are supposed to register your arms.
> > > This one.
> > I agree that you _are_ supposed to register your arms, but
> > I must respectfully disagree with your assertion that there
> > is any reason for it.
> I would respectfully disagree with you, as a fellow researcher in
> chivalry. As a part of a process of education in mediaeval names
> & arms, registration serves as a fitting end to the process.
> People, at least in this country, seem to have a mentality of "if
> it's registered at some organization, it's official, & official
> equals good." [...]
>
> Hence, after a long bout of research with the sources, and
> deciding on a name, you feel like you've put valuable time &
> effort into that name. You don't want another person to have it.
> So, you register it.
[...]

You have convinced me.  There _is_ a valid purpose for registration.
I honestly had not noticed that registering my name and device had
served as an end to my education about them, but in retrospect I
must admit it did.  (Although I _would_ still like to know how to
write my name in Ladino (Dzhudesmo (Judeo-Spanish))).

My change of heart has now led me to a new concern.  I have spent
some time researching the clothing I wear at events (I hate to call
it garb, for reasons I omit here to avoid prolixity), and more
time and money buying the fabric, bells, buttons and bows, and
still more time actually doing the work of cajoling my wife to
sew them.  Furthermore, I would be mortified if I were to appear
at an event and meet someone wearing an identical ensemble.

So my question is, where can I go to register my motley?

-- Alfredo

Alfredo el Bufon
Elvegast, Windmaster's Hill, Atlantia
edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com