Re: Heraldic Side Note

Poster: Wynn Klosky <klosky@meeker.UCAR.EDU>

On Fri, 30 Aug 1996, Corun MacAnndra wrote:
> Craig Levin wrote:
> I was going to ask about that. If I understand the language of heraldese
> correctly (I'm not a herlad, nor do I play one on TV), the field is or (gold),
> the rose is red (as opposed to proper with gold seeds and green leaves), and
> the suns are also gold at the top of the shield (in chief). This would make
> three gold suns on a gold field above a red rose. (how'm I doing Herveus).

Greetings unto this list from Branwynn Ottersby!

Since no one has answered this yet, and I'm sure we are all burning
to know :^), I will take a shot. Her blazon is similar to my own,
which can go "Azure, an estoile of eight rays Argent, in chief,
three gouttes Azure."

According to the herald who helped write the verbiage, the stating
of the tincture of the chief is redundant since it is the same as
main charge just mentioned. Just another funny Herald-Thang.

However, since it *IS* a funny herald-thang, and many people aren't
aware of the convention, I _sometimes_ blazon mine "Azure, an estoile of
eight rays Argent, and on a chief Argent, three gouttes Azure" to
make certain that I am understood.

I know I sound terribly hickish to all the heralds 'round here,
and until everyone knows the convention, I'm willing to put up
with that for clarity's sake...

Hope that helps,
In pedantic service, I remain,
branwynn ottersby