Banishments

Poster: "Terry L. Neill" <Neilltl@ptsc.slg.eds.com>

edh@ascc01.ascc.lucent.com wrote:

>I _have_ read, in this forum, of the Crown banishing individuals
>(although not for this particular offense) and I've never been clear
>on the actual implementation.

There are three levels of banishment.

1. The King can banish anyone for any reason from His presence.  There is no
appeal.  The person under level one banishment must not attend court or
other activities where the King or Queen may be present and must make an
attempt to keep out of Their sight.  Otherwise, his or her activities are
unaffected.  S/he still retains any offices, awards, etc. and can attend and
participate in any aspect of any event that doesn't bring him or her in
contact with the Crown.

2. The King can impose a level 2 banishement.  This takes effect immediately
but is automatically appealed (or reviewed by) the Board of Directors who
either uphold or overturn the banishment. This banishment must be for cause.
The affected person is stripped of any office, order or award while the
banishment is in effect.  The person may attend events, but may not
participate in any activity overseen by any officer (including A&S displays,
fight practice, heraldry, etc.) Autocrats are considered officers, so the
person may not even help out at an event. The person must avoid the presence
of the Crown.  They may show up, schmooze with friends and shop, but not
fight, enter competitions, etc.  The King can be disciplined by the BoD for
imposing a level 2 banishment that the BoD finds unjustified.

3. The King can request the Board of Directors impose a Level 3 banishment.
This must also be for cause - far more serious cause than level 2
banishments.  If the BoD imposes a Level 3 banishment, the person's
membership is revoked and s/he is barred from ever attending an SCA function
anywhere.

The Banishment rules are under review and the Kingdom Seneshale should have
copies of the latest draft proposal.  The InterKingdom Advisory Council is
soliciting opinions and comments on this draft.  They will submit the final
version to the Board of Directors to accept or return.  I'm not sure of the
timeframe.

Note: this is a different draft of new banishment rules than the one that
was out there earlier this year.

        - Anarra