Re: Censorship

Poster: "Thorpe, John" <thorpj@caepo1.columbiaSC.NCR.COM>

Greetings from Eldred!

     I have to call "HOLD!"  This has gotten way out of hand.  I feel
responsible, because I misremembered the circumstances and outcome
of the last "assassination game" that got played in Atlantia, and it looks
like people took my use of the word "outlaw" and went berserk with it.

     Earl Dafydd and Duke Olaf have both presented the facts from
their tenures as Crown of Atlantia.  That should have been sufficient to
clear the air, but apparently Fran stirred it back up.  8^)

     Alfredo, Liam, and Victoria, at no time have I seen anyone
suggest that this list become moderated and that censorship should
be imposed.  The original post about U.B.A.G. contained nothing about
its motives, goals, or level of participation.  The gentle responsible has
already apologized, and subsequently posted an amendment that
clarifies those points.  This was done in response to the outcries of
the post being inappropriate.  As originally worded, it WAS
inappropriate, and for other reasons, it stirred up unfortunate memories.

     Whether the "assassination game" is appropriate within
the SCA is for others to decide for themselves.  Personally, I think it is
not--as a general rule.  As the focus of an event, I may think it is in
poor taste, but then again, so are some lawn ornaments and some
heraldry I've seen.  8^) 8^)

Thinking this is all a tempest in a teapot...
Eldred AElfwald
Nottinghill Coill Pursuivant

"I may not like what you have to say, sir, but I will defend to the death
your right to say it!"  - Voltaire (paraphrased)